The Delmarva Poultry Industry, Inc. (DPI) recognized 11 outstanding chicken growers and four individuals for their work on behalf of the chicken industry at the 1,800-member trade association’s annual membership dinner on Tuesday.
The J. Frank Gordy, Sr. Delmarva Distinguished Citizen Award, DPI’s highest honor, was presented to Paul Downes, CEO and president of Mountaire Farms.
The Edward H. Ralph DPI Medal of Achievement was presented to Dave Lovell of Melfa, Virginia. The award goes to a non-elected person for outstanding service on behalf of Delmarva’s chicken industry.
The DPI Medal of Achievement for an elected official was awarded to Delaware State Sen. Gerald Hocker, who was honored for his work on behalf of the business community in the Delaware legislature.
A special citation in recognition of accomplishments was awarded posthumously to Bill Brown, a longtime chicken grower and University of Delaware Extension poultry agent who died earlier this month.
Additionally, DPI recognized 11 outstanding chicken growers selected by their companies from Delmarva’s more than 1,600 poultry growers:
- Choudry Asif, Salisbury, Maryland – Perdue Farms
- Pat Cahall, Frankford, Delaware – Perdue Farms
- Donald Howard, Crisfield, Maryland – Tyson Foods
- Dave Lovell, Melfa, Virginia – Perdue Farms
- Sherman & Patty Jones, Millsboro, Delaware – Mountaire Farms of Delmarva
- Ryan Marshall, Pittsville, Maryland – Mountaire Farms of Delaware
- Burton & Sue Ockels, Seaford, Delaware – Amick Farms
- Dale Phillips, Georgetown, Delaware – Allen Harim
- Chittle Saylor Jr., Preston, Maryland – Allen Harim
- Ruby West, Delmar, Maryland – Mountaire Farms of Delmarva
- Terry & Diana Woodward, Harrington, Delaware – Mountaire Farms