Gov. John Carney has formed a group of state officials that will recommend opportunities for greater efficiency and cost-saving across state government.
The executive order creating the Governmental Efficiency and Accountability Review Board (GEAR) was signed today by the governor.
“We need a serious, permanent effort to identify cost savings and efficiencies in state government, and that’s what we’ll get with the GEAR Board” said Gov. Carney in a news release. “We must do things differently than we’ve always done them, and find smarter ways to operate more effectively and protect taxpayer dollars. Delawareans expect us to responsibly manage their money, and we’re committed to doing just that.”
Recommendations could include new methods for employee retention, hiring and recruiting, and how agencies share services. The group will put out an annual report, which will be made available to the public.
The following officials will join the group:
- The Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB);
- The Secretary of Finance;
- The Secretary of the Department of Technology and Information;
- The Controller General;
- The State Treasurer;
- The Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court;
- The Secretary of Health and Social Services;
- The Secretary of Education;
- A representative from the Delaware business community appointed by the Governor; and
- A representative from AFSCME appointed by the Governor.